SkinPen can be the most *effective vertical microneedling device, offering state-of-the-art skin rejuvenating technology. By creating a series of hundreds of vertical microscopic channels into the dermis, SkinPen stimulates the natural production of new collagen and elastin.
The SkinPen treatment temporarily creates thousands of micro-channels which allows for penetration and diffusion of topicals during and post-procedure without ablation or introduction of thermal energy. Fractionated injuries are a quick, safe, and effective percutaneous collagen induction therapy.
Collagen Induction Therapy
Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), or microneedling, is the procedure by which the body's natural response to healing is used to increase the amount of extracellular matrix such as collagen or elastin in the skin. The micro-channels created by the SkinPen allow for leakage of blood, serum, and lymph in a controlled and temporary manner. These "injuries" are enough to initiate the wound healing cascade which is composed of three basic phases.
- Phase One | Inflammation: Activated by piercing the dermal tissue, platelets release cytokines and growth factors which act as signals for the body's immune system. Neutrophils and macrophages cells are sent in to disinfect the wounds, clear the debris, increase the blood supply (a process called angiogenesis), and begin the creation of fresh, new cellular and extracellular materials (the granulation process).
- Phase Two | Proliferation: In this stage, the fibroblasts (cells that make up much of the dermis and create the extracellular matrix) keratinocytes and epidermal cells continue to divide to populate the areas of damage and secrete growth factors and extracellular matrix, such as elastin and collagen.
- Phase Three | Remodeling: At this stage, the wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and the newly formed vasculature is now matured. The collagen in the newly formed tissue is now replaced with the stronger collagen and the tissue contracts to cause a "shrink-wrap" effect of the skin.
Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure; however, since the skin is being penetrated there will be some mild effects afterwards. These effects will vary based on needle depth used and intensity of treatment.
- Day 1: Mild to moderate swelling and redness, similar to a mild sunburn. There may be some mild bruising as well.
- Day 2: Some persisting redness may be present, but all redness bruising and swelling should be diminishing.
- Day 3: Most redness, bruising and swelling should be nearly gone. Normal appearance with makeup may be achieved.
- Day 4: Appear mostly normal at this point with some minor swelling
*Disclaimer: Results may vary from person to person.